Hey Teen Books Hey at ALA13
Anyone who hangs out with me in real life knows I complain nonstop about my favorite authors never coming to Chicago. But I can’t complain anymore because about forty of them were here this weekend for the ALA Conference and Exhibitions.
On Friday and Sunday I went to the exhibits at McCormick Place. There were over 800 exhibits featuring author signings, major and indie publishers and new library technology. Sadly Allyx couldn’t come, but I was with our very cool friend Leah the entire weekend.
Friday Leah and I took the train into the city and met up with Ruth, the Teen Librarian at my hometown library. Ruth warned us that since Friday was the first day of the exhibits, it was going to be a mad house. And yeah, I believed her but I figured she meant the lines would be a bit long. But in the first half hour we were fighting thick crowds and Leah and I lost each other at least six times. It was like a very polite Black Friday.
After a sleepover and day of rest, we drove in Sunday morning on a near empty freeway. The Exhibits were much calmer than on Friday and we had a lot more time to explore the booths and attend panels.
In our first five minutes there I met Janet Tashjian who wrote The Gospel According to Larry. She was very nice and I was very excited and emotional.
Leah is a huge fan of Cory Doctorow so the most important part of the morning was getting to his panel. I didn’t know much about his work until this weekend, but I was blown away by his panel. He talked a lot about memory and perceived safety. I wish I took better notes because just listening made me feel smarter.
I didn’t take many pictures, but I did take notes on moments that made me happy. Oddly my favorite moments weren’t meeting authors or getting free books. They were things like running into a boy I ate lunch with in high school, or how happy meeting Cory Doctorow made Leah.
In the coming months we’ll be reviewing many of the advanced readers copies I received. Going to ALA was an amazing experience and I can’t wait to share that part of it with all of you.
33 Notes/ Hide
- paralyzedwithpassion likes this
- theartofliterature likes this
- drawmetowords likes this
- birdskirt likes this
- desire-ssmaden7 likes this
- thatpersimmon said: I was there it was so much fun
- thatpersimmon reblogged this from heyteenbookshey and added:
- thatpersimmon likes this
- heal-my-broken-jaw likes this
- foreverrgone9058 likes this
- eveangelyne likes this
- tacobell-n-goldfish likes this
- insertintelligence said: I agree with just about everything here. I have so many books, I will post a picture of them later.
- blooming-madness likes this
- stories-of-a-bibliophile likes this
- absa00 reblogged this from heyteenbookshey
- izabella likes this
- v-dove likes this
- sumomo182001 likes this
- illumination-sensation likes this
- deceptiontoperfection likes this
- bucketofrhymes likes this
- spazolot reblogged this from heyteenbookshey
- spazolot likes this
- dyedread likes this
- camsasa likes this
- theperksofbeingajasmineflower likes this
- radicalraisin likes this
- saucylark likes this
- my-violet-hour likes this
- hayydarlin likes this
- kvothe-kingslayer likes this
- loverofdragons21 likes this
- heyteenbookshey posted this